Sunday, January 9, 2011

Weekend Brunch

I just had to blog over the weekend to share this awesome french toast recipe with you. I made this recipe years ago with peaches, I found it on Barefoot Contessa's recipes on FoodTV.com. For some reason I could not find the recipe again so I winged it but I must say it turned out amazing! So since peaches are obviously not in season I decided on strawberries, could not resist these beauties in the grocery.


Below is a picture of all the ingredients you will need.

Katie's Stuffed French Toast with Strawberries
Serves 2-4
4-6 large slices of soft bread (I used Challah)
1/2 container fresh strawberries
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. sugar
pinch of salt
~2 Tbsp. butter

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
2. Slice the bread about 3/4 in. thick. Make a small slit in the bottom of each slice large enough for strawberries to fit. Stuff each piece with thin slices of the fresh strawberries.
3. Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar and salt.
4. Melt 1 Tbsp. of the butter in a pan large enough for a few slices.
5. Dip the stuffed slices of bread in your egg and milk mixture and cook in the melted butter until brown on each side. This should take about 1 minute on each side.
6. You may need to keep adding more butter depending on how large the pan is and how many slices you can do at one time. Once all the slices are cooked, place them in a baking dish and warm in the oven for about 15 minutes until the strawberries are warmed through.

I served mine with a bit more butter and syrup but they are great with just some powdered sugar as well. Hope you enjoy and let me know if you try it with any other fruit choices. There is also an option for cream cheese in the stuffing as well...might be fun.

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home